Eating Vegan at .NET Fringe 2017
I've been vegan for 2.5 years, and when I travel somewhere new for the first time I tend to get anxious about what my food options are going to be. You can only eat a dry salad and french fries so many times. Fortunately, Portland has some of the best vegan options available. So when you're not eating the yummy vegan friendly food options available at the conference (shout out to the organizers), here are some other awesome options to checkout.
In No Particular Order
Petunia's Pies and & Pastries - 610 SW 12th Avenue,
Portland, OR 97205 - They're really close to The Crystal Ballroom. Stop by and get a vegan/gluten free cupcake during a break.
- Black Water - 835 NE Broadway, Portland, Oregon - A locally owned vegan punk rock bar. Try the patty melt. #nom
The Bye & Bye - 1011 NE Alberta St
Portland, OR 97211 - A fun vegan bar with a great vegan food menu. Get the chili pie and hang out on the patio. It's located on Alberta, which is a really popular (hip?) part of town.
Sweet Hereafter - 3326 SE Belmont St,
Portland, OR 97214 - Another vegan bar owned by the same folks that own The Bye & Bye. Get the buffalo sub and thank me later. It's located in Belmont (SE Portland) and there are a ton of vegan options here.
- Paradox Cafe - 3439 SE Belmont St, Portland, Oregon, OR 97214 - Located down the block from Sweet Hereafter, this little dinner has a great breakfast/lunch menu, but the daily specials almost make having a regular menu unnecessary.
- Back to Eden 2217 NE Alberta St OR 2880 SE Divison St. - This place has everything: biscuits and gravy, pizza rolls, whoopie pies, banana splits, you name it. They have locations in Belmont and east of Ladd's Addition. You'll need to stop by more than once.
- Sizzle Pie - 926 W. Burnside, Portland, OR 97205 (and many other locations) - If you need a quick slice look no further. They have 3 vegan options ready to go all the time, or you can order a whole pizza of one of their many other options. The Apocalypse Dudes is my favorite. They also have a great vegan caesar salad, and sell slices of a popular local vegan cheese cake.
- Sweetpea Baking Company - 1205 SE Stark St., Portland OR 97214 - Sweetpea is located in Portland's vegan strip mall. The bakery itself has delicious cinnamon rolls, quiches, and a full breakfast/lunch menu, and a full coffee menu. You can walk next door to Herbivore to get some cruelty free clothing, or go to Food Fight! Grocery for all your vegan grocery needs.
- Homegrown Smoker Vegan BBQ - 4233 N Mississippi, Portland, OR - VEGAN BBQ. It's so fucking good. Get the Mac Daddy or one of their specials. Your vegan friends back home will be so jealous.
No Bones Beach Club - 3928 N. Mississippi,
Portland, Oregon, OR 97227 - Full disclosure: I have not eaten here, but it's on my list.
KaTi Portland -
2932 SE Division St., Portland, Oregon, OR 97202 - Awesome vegetarian/vegan Thai food. Get the Kharee Pup appetizer!
- Maruti - 1925 SE Hawthorne Blvd, Portland, OR 97214 - The owner and stuff here are super friendly. When you sit down they give a sample of one of their menu items and a choice of 1 of 2 wines to try. The vegan tikka masala is wonderful.
There are so many restaurants I haven't covered, but I'm hungry now from listing these, so hit me up on Twitter and let me know which ones you've tried!